Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Rose of Sharon

by SL Ruth

I am the rose of Sharon
lest my loved one should forget
to remember me as less than this
would forfeit tenderness

I've cradled him at evening time
in summer's shadow deep
caressed him to my breast and more
through winter's purple sleep

Hath loved him from the depth of me
his children plain to see
they dance and play across the lawn
delightedly carefree

Lavender is my china heart
as fragilely I come to thee
velvet petals blossum trust
that cannot bear a frost

Whispering, I entreat you dear,
be sensitive of your power;
cherish love with gentle care
for I am a dainty flower.

1 comment:

ninaranes said...

I like your opening and closing. It says it all: I am the rose of Sharon.. I am a dainty flower. Its like the warning label that should come with you. Cannot bear a frost, china heart. The last stanza is great though. Im going to use that line on Jon- "Whispering, I entreat you dear, be sensitive of your power."